What We Do The law firm for a new economy
Token Sales & Exchange Listings
- Token and Coin Compliance with Securities Laws
- Decentralized Finance (DeFi) Launch and Compliance
- SEC No-Action relief and FinHUB engagement
- Regulatory Investigations and Defense
- Offshore Entity Formation
- Initial Decentralized Exchange Offerings (IDOs)
Exchange Licensing & Compliance
- General Counsel and Legal Advisory Services
- Money services business (MSB) registration with FinCEN
- State Money Transmitter Licenses (MTLs) and No-Action Letters for Bitcoin ATMs, Brokers, OTCs and Crypto Exchanges
- Preparation of Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Know-Your-Customer (KYC) Compliance Programs
- Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) Screening and Reporting
- Resolving Disputes Between Customers and Cryptocurrency Exchanges (including locked accounts, frozen assets, and chargebacks)
- SEC investigations and civil defense
- Securities and consumer class actions
- Business and investment fraud
- Breach of contract disputes
- Arbitration (FINRA, AAA, and JAMS)
Patents & Intellectual Property
- Patents (prosecution of applications, licensing agreements, patent litigation)
- Trademarks (filing and registration, litigation, search and opinions, cease and desists)
- Copyrights (acquisition and assignment agreements, applications and registration, royalties, Fair Use)
- Internet and Digital Media (content licensing, domain acquisition, online service agreements)
NFT Listing & Patent Services
- Entity Formation
- Operating Agreement
- Trademark Clearance Search Report and Opinion
- Federal Trademark Application and Registration with the U.S. United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) Policy and Agent Registration with the U.S. Copyright Office
- NFT Platform User Terms and Conditions
- NFT Art License Agreement
- Regulatory Review
The Crypto Lawyers’ value proposition is simple: We are a team of U.S. qualified lawyers dedicated to helping developers, investors, and organizations navigate the legal intricacies of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. We commit ourselves to strategically and aggressively represent our clients in their transactional and litigation matters.
Our areas of expertise include helping preeminent and emerging cryptocurrency projects gain and maintain compliance with U.S. securities laws, representing investors and consumers in high-stakes litigation, resolving disputes between customers and cryptocurrency exchanges (including locked accounts and frozen funds), assisting Bitcoin and cryptocurrency exchanges of all sizes in complying with the Bank Secrecy Act and state money transmitter laws, and guiding a variety of other businesses in compliance matters as they interact with the crypto-sphere.
Rafael Yakobi recently co-authored an op-ed in Bitcoin Magazine: Bitcoin Fungibility, Mixing And The Legal Limits On Maintaining Privacy.See all of Rafael's Media appearances
Rafael Yakobi, Esq. Founder, Senior Managing Partner
In the last five years of practicing exclusively in the cryptocurrency space, Rafael has done extensive regulatory work at the state and federal levels, including both collaborative and adverse interactions with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), and countless state regulators. In addition to defensive regulatory work, Rafael advises a plethora of small to large crypto exchange operations, token issuers, and DAOs to help them navigate their legal obligations, mitigate risks, and focus on growing their businesses, disrupting existing regimes, or experimenting with censorship resistant, immutable, decentralized technology.
Rafael’s initial interest in Bitcoin and cryptocurrency began in 2013. Since then, he has gained extensive understanding and experience with fundamental and technical analysis, market operations and risks, arbitrage, custodial and cyber-security procedures, and the political, philosophical, and economic motivations that set the stage for the ubiquitous rise of cryptocurrency. In 2017 as the world began to finally notice the technological and economic disruption taking place in this arena, Rafael felt compelled to get involved, contribute, and support what is likely to be the most important technological revolution of our generation.
Prior to the formation of The Crypto Lawyers, Rafael litigated complex securities class actions against the biggest financial institutions in the world, represented consumers in class-actions combating corporate malfeasance, prosecuted antitrust class-actions against bad actors in the financial and commodity space, represented whistleblowers in False Claims Act cases against corporations that defrauded taxpayers, defended the rights of individuals charged with white collar and other crimes on Wall Street, and represented investors and financial advisors in FINRA, AAA, and JAMS arbitrations.
- The State Bar of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- Bitcoin Fungibility, Mixing And The Legal Limits On Maintaining Privacy Bitcoin Magazine, March 17, 2020
- Should CoinJoin Users Be Flagged? Is Privacy Illegal? The Stephan Livera Podcast, April 11, 2020
Agustin M. Barbara, Esq. Managing Partner
Agustin M. Barbara is a managing partner at The Crypto Lawyers and actively assists the firm in handling a wide range of cryptocurrency and blockchain related matters and disputes, including issues with leading cryptocurrency exchanges such as deposit and withdrawal restrictions, account suspensions and terminations, chargebacks, and frozen assets. Agustin also helps represent victims of cryptocurrency scams, thefts, and frauds, by vigorously investigating and pursuing perpetrators in order to recover funds and shut down these often criminal organizations.
In addition, as a registered patent attorney, Agustin's practice involve securing and enforcing intellectual property rights for high profile clients, representing NFT issuers, artists, and NFT platform operators from start to finish, including the prosecution and protection of patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, licensing, and related litigation.
Agustin received his bachelor’s degree at Florida International University (FIU), where he specialized in Biomedical Engineering. Agustin graduated summa cum laude from the FIU Chapman Graduate School of Business with a Master of Business Administration, and earned his Juris Doctorate from Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad College of Law. While attending law school, Agustin clerked for two prominent South Florida attorneys, where he gained extensive experience in all aspects of civil and criminal defense litigation, in both state and federal trial and appellate levels.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Agustin worked as a research associate in the Department of Human and Molecular Genetics at the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, where he focused on using various cell-based, genetic, and transgenic technology to uncover the functions of various genes in normal development and in various diseases. Agustin’s research in identifying the role played by relaxin family peptides and their receptors in various physiological systems was published in numerous peer-reviewed journals, including Biology of Reproduction and Molecular Endocrinology.
- The State Bar of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Crypto experts and lawyers weigh in on cryptocurrency liability Top Class Actions, March 2, 2022.
Rodrigo M. Barbara, (CCI) Director of Forensics and Investigations
Rodrigo Barbara is a former law enforcement officer and holds the credential of Certified Cryptocurrency Investigator (CCI) from the Blockchain Intelligence Group. As the current Director of Forensics and Investigations at The Crypto Lawyers, Rodrigo utilizes best-in-class analytics and investigative software and techniques to track and trace the movement of illegitimate cryptocurrency transactions throughout the blockchain. Rodrigo’s thorough and in-depth forensic investigations have led to arrests, recovery of cryptocurrency acquired by theft and fraud, and seizure of illicit funds.
Rodrigo is also actively involved in assisting local, state, and federal law enforcement and regulatory agencies around the country to help track, trace and monitor illicit cryptocurrency activities.
Philip Pentaliotis Of-Counsel
Phillip has vast experience with clients internationally, assisting in setting up a host of European and International legal departments and fundamental in the creation and running of fully licensed international businesses and funds. Phillip assists the The Crypto Lawyers with offshore entity formation, fundraising, token launches, and a range of corporate work for crypto projects.
Trained under the Law Society in London, holding an LLB (Hons) and a Masters degree in International Corporate law, Philip has developed a specialised skill set enabling him to bolster teams and bring complex plans into fruition. Recently attending legal, corporate, blockchain and residency conferences as a keynote speaker.